Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Dead Skunk in the Middle of the Road

Ever ride by a road killed skunk, does it stink? Not for me. I'm about to impart some wisdom. Don't smell it.

It came to me to write about dead skunks and other noxious odors when my daughter and I were riding between Bodega Bay and Guerneville. We passed by a flattened skunk and Lee said something to the effect of "Wow, does that stink. I noticed that it did not stink, not at all and that was because I had not attempted to smell it. I guess the non-motorcyclist version would be someone at church leaning over and whispering, "boy somebody _____," fill in the blank. Immediately the non-rider would start sniffing to find out the volume and intensity.

Now one of the best things about riding a bike is that you get to smell things. If you are riding past a field of onions you smell fresh onions. New mown hay, fields of vegetables, orchards of fruit, and the Budwseier Brewery in Fairfield, all are real treats that only motorcyclists get to enjoy full force. I have also learned, and here's the point, when you first see the dead skunk, just stop sniffing. Slowly let out your breath through your nose until you are well past the offensive area.

No need to thank me, I just enjoy enlightening people.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this is terrific advice. I'll try to remember it next time I see a skunk in the road.
Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Ray,
I just wanted to let you know that I am a hig fan of your blog. My Dad lives in London, he is in his 70's and still rides his motorcycle to work every day...so I turned him onto your blog and he loves it!
I'ts kind of a hassle to comment each time and fill in the 'word verification' and sign in etc...so just 'cause I'm not commenting, doesn't mean I'm not reading and appreciating your great stories and adventures. I live in Woodland, near Davis and Sac so I feel like sometimes you practically ride right past my neck of the woods.
Thanks so much for sharing your passion!
Sincerely,
Lisa (zziggysgal)