Friday, January 30, 2009

Carquinez Strait

























I took a little ride to San Pablo to have lunch with an old friend. The weather was fine and cool and I left early, so I would have a little time to take a little ride around, maybe have a look see.

The Carquinez Strait is the final part of the Sacramento River where it flows into San Francisco Bay. There are two bridges on Hwy 80 that cross the Sacramento near the town of Crockett. The new suspension bridge, the Al Zampa Memorial Bridge, carries southbound traffic and the older steel truss bridge handles northbound traffic.

I got off the freeway and took a photo at the C&H sugar plant which is just up stream of the bridges. I rode though the town of Crockett, keeping as near the river and in the industrial area as much as possible.

I happened onto a road called Carquinez Scenic Drive. I don't think I saw another car on the road. I rode down to a sleepy little town called Port Costa, then along the scenic drive to Hwy 4. I stayed on Hwy 4 until it crosses Hwy 80 and becomes San Pablo Ave.

It was good to see my old friend, we had a late lunch and talked till dark. It was a cold ride home but I didn't stop to put on warmer clothes. It was one of those times when the cold felt invigorating.

No comments: