Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Motorcycle that Inspired a Butter Keeper?











Sometimes the oddest things will start me thinking of motorcycles, I don't need much inspiration to start daydreaming, but I don't think anyone who has seen a Suzuki RE5 Rotary will deny the resemblance to the butter tray in my refrigerator.

There it is, the butter keeper instrument nacelle, sitting right on top on the headlight.











This bike was produced from 1974 to 1976. People who bought this bike liked it, most everyone else on the planet thought it was strange. I knew a guy who had one of these, he didn't think it was strange at all. I remember he must have painted the tank a half dozen times, but he was fine with the instrument nacelle. I personally don't think the bike is that strange (except for the instrument nacelle), but then I like strange bikes.
The bike sold poorly. Suzuki put standard style instruments on the motorcycle but sales did not improve and the bike was discontinued.

No comments: