Wednesday, July 29, 2020

Sport Glide Test Ride













     Harley Davidson has been building the Sport Glide for three years and for some reason I just became aware of it. I have been traveling on my Stampede bike. Traveling long distances on a hardtail chopper can be done, but is a bit of a challenge. 

     I went to my local Harley dealer and they gave me a Sport Glide test ride. I've got to say that there is a lot to like about this bike. It's a slightly smaller than an Electra Glide and 100 pounds lighter. It comes stock with cruise control and anti-lock brakes.

     I found only a few small things that I might change. The bars are "fat bars" and very "beach bar" like. Not terrible just something I'm not used to. Also the bike has forward pegs. I don't normally like forward pegs but these are quite comfortable, and combined with the very comfortable seat feel pretty good. I don't know if mid pegs could be installed or if the mufflers would interfere with the fit.  


























      The fairing and saddle bags are easily removeable and the bike looks very good both with and without the bags and fairing. There is no stereo (so others cannot instantly recognize how cool you are) and there is no video screen, thank goodness!

     The fairing is very small but it worked very well for its size. I could put my hand out and feel the air flowing over the micro windshield. I could trace with my hand the line between moving air and still air to where it hit at the collar. The airflow around and over the fairing was smooth. However a slightly taller windshield might kick the air stream higher, over the helmet would be ideal.

     The bike seemed to have very good power, it seemed similar but slightly faster than my old Twin Cam, 88 ci vs 105 ci. There is a six speed transmission and it feels right, in fifth gear on my Electra Glide it always felt that it needed another gear.

     Sometimes a bike is just so right it transcends being a machine and becomes art. I enjoy just looking at the Sport Glide, I think it may be a bike I could love.

No comments: