Sunday, May 16, 2021

El Diablo Run 2021

     It's true we aren't really free anymore. So the question was would those who make the rules allow the El Diablo Run. So when I heard that the 2021 El Diablo Run was on, I was in.



My Sportster has done some traveling, I have a extra 3 gallon gas tank and saddlebags that I bolt on when I travel. The headlight is, typical of Sportsters, pathetic, so I bought some LED lights and made a couple of brackets. I'm happy to report that they worked very well. 

It's about 800 miles from home to San Felipe. South of Mexicali it gets pretty barren. San Felipe is 125 miles from the border between the United States and Mexico. Going south, on the right there are dry and barren mountains and a lot of mining going on, beautiful but exposed, barren and windswept.  On the left, to the east, dirt and salt flats that extend to the horizon.


But finally, the ocean comes into view and I arrived in San Felipe.


Ruben's Campground gets packed with bikes and campers. 





                                                                                                       Photo by Andy Sweet






Next day, let the games begin





You may think you are cool but not as cool as this guy who raced a Royal Enfield in shorts and flip flops.


One of the Biltwell Inc. guys handed me an El Diablo beer. I was so surprised I didn't really know what to say. So thanks Biltwell guy whoever you are.
 














































During the 2019 El Diablo Run I didn't go downtown or eat anything besides deep fried shrimp at Ruben's campo. I guess I have always heard it was not safe to eat or drink in Mexico. I am very happy to say that the food was delicious. In the downtown area, along the malecon, there are many really good restaurants. Still, I did not drink local water.





























I rode with friends about twenty five miles south of town to a place called Laguna Percebu. Down a mile of dirt road there was a small enclave of homes and a restaurant. I had the one of the best margaritas I have ever had, maybe the best. 

 Monday morning after a quick photo on the malecon in front of the San Felipe sign it was off for a long ride home.

No comments: